After chatting with my better half, Ant yesterday, I’ve decided to take drastic action. I’m putting myself on a Book Buying Ban for 5 months!
Shock, horror!!! For any bookworm, those words are enough to send them into the foetal position. But some sort of context is probably needed as well.
I’m off to YALC this year! I’ve never been before, this will be my first year of attending and I’m super excited. But I know, for a fact, I’ll end up spending way too much money on books, adding them to my never ending TBR pile.
With that in mind, I’ve decided to tackle my current To Be Read pile now. In the attempt to ensure it’s not a gargantuan mountain by the time July comes around.
Basically, if I finish my ban successfully, I can come back from YALC with a even bigger book hoard without feeling guilty about my other books gathering dust. Logic you see, is my best friend.
I’ve come to realise my book buying habits are out of control. We all have books piling up on our TBR lists, but rather than working my way through what I already have, and enjoying what I already own. I’ve been rereading favourites, or even worse, buying brand new books. It’s almost like panic buying.
Current TBR Book Hoard
At current count, I have 42 books in my TBR pile. Some have seriously been sat untouched on my shelf since 2013. They need to be read….like last year.
So I’ve made an agreement with myself. My YALC buys are limited to what I manage to read before 25th July.
Finish 5 books – Buy 5 books.
Finish 10 books- Buy 10 books
If I finish my back catalogue? BUY ALL THE BOOKS.
You get the picture.
Some extra guidelines I’m setting myself to make this goal more achievable. My main goal is to completely finish reading all my physical copies of books by YALC. However, if I finish that mountain (pfft good luck) and manage to read some ebooks then I will treat myself with special extras during/after the convention.
However, ARCs and Netgalley books have priority over all other books, and will be finished before starting anything else.
As a bit of accountability I’ll list the books below and will hopefully check back with some monthly wrap-ups throughout the coming months.
Physical Books (Paperbacks & Hardbacks)
- The Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix (Sabriel, Lirael, & Abhorsen)
- Darker Shade of Magic series by V.E.Schwab (Darker Shade of magic, Gathering of Shadows, & Conjuring of Light)
- The Raven Boys series by Maggie Stiefvater (The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Blue lily Lily Blue & The Raven King)
- City of Ghosts by V.E.Schwab (Edit: Find my review here)
- Pure by Julianna BaggottThese Rebel Waves by Sara Raasch
- Girls of Paper & Fire by Natasha Ngan
- State of Sorrow & Song of Sorrow by Melinda Salisbury
- Fire & Heist by Sarah Beth Durst
- Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand
- The Familiars by Stacey Halls
- Hard Girls by Martina Cole
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
- A Pinch of Magic by Michelle Harrison
- Strange the Dreamer by Laini Tayler
- A Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Tayler
- Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
- Heart of Thorns by Bree Barton
- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
- Dracula by Bram Stoker
- Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice
- Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell
- The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter
- The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi
Total Count of Physical Books: 32
- Vivatera by Candace J. Thomas (Netgalley book)
- Circe by Madeline Miller
- The Queen’s Rising by Rebecca Ross
- The Black Witch by Laurie Forest
- Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth
- Between Two Thorns by Emma Newman
- Enchantress by James Maxwell
- Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman
- The Tethered Mage by Melissa Caruso
Total Ebook count: 10
Listing them down here and counting them up is unbelievably depressing. There’s even more on my TBR book hoard than I thought! Why haven’t I read them?! That’s just unnecessarily disappointing. Don’t worry I’m filled with enough shame for both of us. That’s it, this Book Buying Ban is concrete law.
Looks like I have a massive stack of books to attempt to get through over the coming weeks, have you done a Book Buying Ban? Leave some tips below for a fellow sufferer. I feel like we should start a support group: Book Buying Ban Anonymous.
**Also Fairyloot doesn’t count toward The Ban. 😀 😀